At Vernon Barford School, we believe that academics constitute only a part of the experiences required by young adolescents in their total development. Consequently, there is a comprehensive program of extra-curricular activities.
BLAST (Barford Leadership and Service Team)
The mission of BLAST is to provide ongoing support and leadership to the entire school population through:
- learning and continuing to enhance specific peer support skills;
- being an active member of the school community and being aware of social and academic issues that arise throughout the year and addressing them in an appropriate manner;
- acting as a positive role model and leader in all aspects of their life including volunteerism;
- being open minded and dedicated to ongoing learning; committing to take a leadership role in at least one school event throughout the year in consultation with the peer support leaders; and
- assisting with the recognition assemblies set up to recognize their peers.
CO-CURRICULAR and EXTRA-CURRICULAR OPPORTUNITIES
The following activities, teams and clubs may be offered throughout the school year.
track and field
interviews with history
science clubs and fairs
Citadel Theatre club and field trips
Edmonton Journal spelling bee
healthy initiatives team
ski & snowboard
speech and debate
World Cup soccer tournament